Follow SEMICHSPORTS on Twitter

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

How the Randy Moss trade affects the Lions

Get used to this again

Sources are reporting that the New England Patriots have reached a deal to send Randy Moss to the Minnesota Vikings for a 3rd round draft choice. Wow. Why a 3-1 team would trade a top 5 WR is beyond me. I know the Patriots have a system in place where anyone can step in and contribute, but this seems like more of a business move. Can Julian Edelman do this....





Doubtful.

But how does this affect Detroit? It doesn't. Plain and simple. And that is the problem. Normally when a division "rival" acquires a player of Randy Moss's stature, the 3 division rivals are forced to make some sort of adjustment. I'm sure the Packers' game plan has been altered. I'm sure the defensive coaches in Chicago will be losing extra sleep preparing for Moss' return. But the Lions can simply coast along as always, oblivious to their own shortcomings. The reason is this....The Vikings don't need Moss to embarrass the Detroit secondary. They didn't need Sidney Rice and they don't need Moss.

Don't get me wrong, I like many of the young players at CB and safety for the Lions. I think Delmas can be the real deal. I liked the Chris Houston trade. But until they get a true lockdown cornerback, opposing QBs will have a field day. This is why I'm pulling for Patrick Peterson in April. He has shown (albeit in college) to be capable of eliminating the opposing team's best WR. That's what is needed in Allen Park. When that happens is when the Randy Moss' of the world affect the Lions. Thats when Gunther Cunningham will need to refill his Ambien prescription.

No comments:

Post a Comment