Follow SEMICHSPORTS on Twitter

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Here's to hoping Greg Monroe starts slow

It sounds crazy that I would want the Piston's #7 overall draft pick to have a somewhat steep learning curve. It's nothing personal, hell I'm sure he's a fine young man. But this year has been emotionally draining when it comes to Detroit rookies. Take Brennan Boesch for example. He hit .342 with 12HR and 49RBI posting a .990 OPS before the All Star break this year. Everyone was crowning him the Rookie of the Year and comparing him to Ted Williams (not kidding, heard it more than once on 97.1). What did he do after the ASB? He hit .163 with 2HR, 18RBI, and a .459 OPS. Wha? Will the real Brennan Boesch please stand up?

Now let's take a look at Jahvid Best. After 2 games he racked up 268 total yards and 5 TDs. In his last 4 games he has 266 total yards and 0 TDs. Don't get me wrong, his overall stats are impressive. I'm not trying to hate on what he's done. But his first two games were so impressive that people were thinking Pro Bowl. Now? Not so much.

I am obviously ignoring what Ndamukong Suh and Austin Jackson bid this year. I will argue that their performance has been steadier without the unexpected breakout that Best and Boesch had. I hope Monroe becomes a solid contributor this year. 12ppg and 6rpg maybe? Am I setting the bar too low? I'm fine with it if I am. I have seen first hand what the expectations of an unbelievable start can bring.  

2 comments:

  1. Suh has been great! Best Lions pick since..............Barry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. With consistent QB play, I think Calvin would be in the discussion. My point was if Suh came out and matched his Big 12 championship game stats (12 tackles,4.5 sacks) against Chicago in week one, he would never be able to live up to it.

    And don't forget Aaron Gibson....

    ReplyDelete