Follow SEMICHSPORTS on Twitter

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Weekend Basketball Recap

I have been a huge fan of All-Star Weekend for a long time. Some of my favorite moments were Dee Brown in 1991...

Craig Hodges dominating the 3-point shootout...

And Vince Carter in 2000...

Jebus, what happened? Now you get a 2:00 shot clock (unless you involve the guy from The Black Eyed Peas, and stuffed animals) and as many attempts misses as you want, until you finally make it on your 8th try, thereby eliminating any actual applause. This year was no different. Blake Griffin only had to tie his shoes to be handed the title Saturday night. I wonder if Vegas took bets on either:
  1. Justin Bieber winning the fan vote for MVP of the "celebrity" game. 
  2. Blake Griffin winning the fan vote for the dunk contest.
I have personally vowed to never watch another celebrity game as long as people like Rob Kardashian and Bieber are involved. I remember T.O. and Master P actually playing. Now.....sigh

The Rookie/Sophomore game was what I thought it was, and I let them off the hook...


There was less defense in this game than at Charlie Sheen's pharmacist, and only slightly less scoring. The Rookies won 148-140. Yada, yada John Wall had 22 assists. Demarcus Cousins didn't kill anyone*, and Greg Monroe was his solid self. He scored 14, had 8 boards, and 3 assists. The sophomores.....played too. There was a pretty solid dunk though.



Saturday was predictable. I didn't watch the Player/Old Timer/"girl"** competiton. I stopped watching when I heard the teams:
  1. Atlanta
  2. Chicago
  3. Los Angeles
  4. Texas
One of these things is not like the other,one of these things just doesn't belong. Stephen Curry won the least dribbles in 30 seconds contest over Russel Westbrook.

A quick break from NBA action. In the Baylor women's game, Felisha from Friday dunked. She didn't look 6'8'' in the movie, but it came out back in 1995. What? Brittney Griner is not the same person? Hmm....
Felisha from Friday

Brittney Griner from Baylor
Sorry, back to the NBA. So Serge Ibaka dunks from the free throw line (for real, not like Jordan or Brent Barry who were a step inside the line) and gets a 45. Blake Griffin jumps over the hood of a car*** and gets elected Mayor of Butte, MT? I get that this is a popularity contest, but if David Stern is going to keep it this way, force LeBron, Kobe, Durant, et al to participate. I mean seriously, how many people had heard of Jevale McGee or Serge Ibaka before last night? I bet 82% of America expected Balki Bartokomous from Perfect Strangers to come out....


I'm sorry, but


Is far superior to



Ok, NBA. You win this round.

*-That we know of.

**-"She" was on team Atlanta...
***-Well, a KIA anyway



No comments:

Post a Comment