Follow SEMICHSPORTS on Twitter

Friday, February 4, 2011

Super Bowl Prediction Thread-(UPDATED)

There are roughly 27,322,969 sports journalists in America. This includes ESPN writers, bloggers, Facebook users, and the worst of the worst, newspaper guys. Every year, we all make our predictions on the outcome of the Super Bowl. Every year, 20,000,000 of us end up looking foolish. I would like to make my official entry into the brotherhood.

When Green Bay has the ball

This is the match up I am most looking forward to. Elite offense vs elite defense. Aaron Rodgers vs Troy Polamalu. Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, and James Jones vs Ike Taylor, Bryant McFadden, and Ryan Clark. The GB o-line vs LaMarr Woodley,James Harrison, and Beard Keisel. The only weakness is the Green Bay running game. James Starks is leading the NFL in postseason rushing, but I doubt he can do much damage against Pittsburgh's front seven. The question for Pittsburgh will be "Can they stop all 3 WRs?", and that answer will be no. Advantage-Push


When Pittsburgh has the ball


Another intriguing matchup. Green Bay has looked impressive in the postseason. Clay Matthews, Tramon Williams, and Charles Woodson have been on fire, and guys like B.J. Raji and Desmond Bishop have really stepped up. I really like Rashard Mendenhall, and they have nice pieces in Mike Wallace, Heath Miller, and Hines Ward. Central Michigan's Antonio Brown has been somewhat of a revelation as well, making big play after big play. Overall, I think Green Bay's playmakers will have their hands full with Ben Roethlisberger, who somehow always seems to make a play. Ultimately, I see Big Ben trying to do to much, and tossing a couple picks. Advantage-Packers


Special Teams


I honestly just realized that Shaun Suisham was the Steelers' kicker. What happened to my personal favorite kicker, Jeff Reed?

Did he return to the WWE as Scotty Too Hottie?

Punters won't factor much in this game, since neither team have a Devin Hester. Green Bay's kicker Mason Crosby is pretty good, and I had him on my fantasy team for a few weeks, so...Advantage-Packers

Local Flavor

The Steelers have 6 players who played their college ball in the state of Michigan:
  • Charlie Batch
  • Antonio Brown
  • Flozell Adams
  • Larry Foote
  • LaMarr Woodley
  • Ryan Mundy
The Packers have 7:
  • Greg Jennings
  • T.J. Lang
  • Nick McDonald
  • Cullen Jenkins
  • Frank Zombo
  • Josh Gordy
  • Charles Woodson
Advantage-Packers

Lost to the Lions Factor

In week 14 the Packers lost to Detroit 7-3. I realize Aaron Rodgers was hurt, but a Super Bowl Champion should be able to beat the Lions, who started Drew Stanton, with their back up QB. The Steelers beat the Lions in week 4 of the preseason. Advantage-Steelers

Conclusion

I like the Steelers, honest I do. I just don't like the way they match up with Green Bay. Pittsburgh has tons of playoff experience (which may be a surprise to hear if you don't have ESPN) and a great defense. Green Bay argues about team photos, have an almost-elite offense, and a very good defense. If this were a regular season game, I would call for a GB blowout, but I think Pitt keeps it close.

Prediction

Green Bay-31
Pittsburgh-27


EDIT- I was in the shower, and I realized that Ryan Mundy is playing for Pittsburgh. He played the majority of his career at Michigan, before spending his 5th year at West Virginia. The count is still 7-6, so it doesn't  change the outcome. And to answer your question, yes I often think of under achieving former Michigan defensive backs at random times. Just the other day, I was in the middle of class, and I caught myself wondering "I wonder what Willis Barringer is up to?".

No comments:

Post a Comment